The NHL released the 2011-2012 schedule today. We will post the whole schedule on the blog later today, but for now, here are some interesting quirks, facts, and dates to look out for:
- The Islanders will open at home on October 8 vs. the Panthers at 8 p.m. The late start is presumably because of Yom Kippur. They also have a four game homestand to start the season. The other games are a Columbus Day Matinee on 10/10 vs. Minnesota, 10/13 vs. Tampa Bay, and 10/15 vs. the Rangers.
- The Islanders play two games (home-and-home) against three Western Conference teams: Minnesota Wild, Chicago Blackhawks, and Dallas Stars
- The Winnipeg team comes to the Coliseum on November 3rd and April 5th, which is also the Islanders last home game. The Islanders go to Winnipeg on December 20th and February 14th.
- The remaining Ranger games are: At the Coliseum - November 15th and February 24th. At the Garden - December 22nd, December 26th, and March 11th. This means the Islanders will be featured on HBO's 24/7 two times.
- The Islanders will play a three game series against New Jersey: At home on March 4, in Newark on March 8, and at home again on March 10. They also play a home and home against New Jersey on November 25-26.
- The Stanley Cup champion Bruins will be on Long Island on November 19 and March 31.